What Parents Need to Know
Preparing to send your son to treatment can be difficult on a number of levels.
It may seem like it’s the end of a long struggle, but in reality, it’s the beginning of a new phase in your son’s life and in yours. You aren’t “shipping off” your son to treatment. Instead, you are enrolling him in a drug rehab program and taking an active role in his recovery by attending family therapy sessions and support groups so you can ensure that you support his continued abstinence rather than inadvertently enable a relapse into drug abuse and addiction.
Are you ready to help your son leave drugs and alcohol behind through comprehensive treatment and effective medical and psychotherapeutic care? We’re here to help. Call us at Muir Wood today.
Benefits of Teen Treatment
A thorough treatment program can help your son to heal issues that are creating obstacles to his ability to live a life of balance and peace by providing:
- Detox and medical stabilization that addresses withdrawal symptoms and health issues
- Diagnosis of co-occurring behavioral disorders, mental health disorders, learning disabilities, and/or interpersonal issues to identify underlying problems
- Treatment for all issues, including substance abuse, to ensure steady progress on all fronts
- Extensive holistic care through outdoor and adventure therapy that improves physical health as well as builds confidence and autonomy
- Intensive family therapy services to improve communication skills and rebuild the relationships that are primary to a teen’s ability to succeed in recovery
How You Can Help Your Child Succeed in Treatment
Your participation is crucial to your son’s progress in rehabilitation. There are a number of things you can do to make sure that you are the support you want to be in your son’s recovery, including:
- Learn all you can about your son’s drug of choice, addiction information, and treatment options
- Take part in family support groups
- Actively participate in family therapy with your teen
- Be available when your son wants to talk
- Be a positive role model for your son
- Take care of yourself, your marriage, and/or others members of your family
“Muir Wood is a place of light and hope, offering a comprehensive program of treatment adventure-based therapy, academics, and family involvement that sets the gold standard for gender-specific adolescent treatment programs. If only every young person struggling with alcohol and other drug problems could spend time at Muir Wood where kindness, trust, and respect are established as the keystone of life-long recovery.”
— Kathy Ketcham
Adolescent Treatment Expert
& Best Selling Author, “Teens Under the Influence”
Family Therapy Is Essential
Your involvement in family therapy will not only help your son as he works his way through rehabilitation but also aid you and other members of your family in moving forward and healing after living with a destructive addiction in your home. It offers:
- A safe forum for all to express frustrations and vent
- An objective bystander to guide conversations
- Therapeutic advice and assistance
- Improved communication skills
- Goals and therapeutic movement toward those goals
Without your participation in family therapy, your teen will make far less progress both during treatment and after he returns home.
Paying for Teen Rehab
Many parents are primarily concerned about covering the bill when it comes to enrolling their child in teen substance abuse treatment. It’s important to note that the cost of not enrolling your child in drug rehab when he needs it is far higher than paying for a few months of treatment.
Consider what it costs to:
- Support an adult child who is not working
- Pay for bail, lawyers fees, and court costs for a child who ends up on the wrong side of the law due to addictive behaviors
- Cover medical costs for accidents under the influence and treat chronic illnesses caused by drug and alcohol abuse
- Raise a grandchild born to your addicted son who is too incapacitated by addiction to be a father
By comparison, the cost of rehab is minimal, and it pays off in dividends that are priceless: a son who is stable, healthy, and building a life for himself that he can be proud of.
The cost of rehab, however, is not something you have to pay for out of pocket. You can begin by talking to your health insurance company and determining how much and which services they will pay for. Depending upon your ability to cash flow the remaining balance, you can dip into savings and/or opt for a financing plan that is designed to meet your budgetary needs. At Muir Wood, we can help you determine the best way to finance your child’s recovery here with us.
How to Get Your Son Into Rehab
Getting your son into our rehabilitation program here at Muir Wood starts when you download the enrollment packet or contact us at the phone number listed above. You can start your substance-abusing teen on his personal journey to a life without drugs and alcohol today. Contact us now to get started.